Play by Post Redux

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The second of Thalric's play by post forums to be created, hopefully this one wont break.

4 posters

Nidog's optimization class!

nidog
    nidog

Nidog's optimization class! Empty Nidog's optimization class!

Post  nidog Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 pm

EVERYONE TAKE YOUR SEAT! THAT INCLUDES YOU TIMMY! TAKE YOUR SEAT!!!
    Now the referencess are out of the wayThis thread Is to help you make your character some tricks in order to make you character better.
    DISCLAIMERS!!!!
    1:of course I wont teach you all the tricks, otherwise how Ima gonna kick you ass?
    2: Luck is a big part of D&D and no character is Totally unkillable If a character you made by following this guide dies, on your bad die be it.
    3: I am right, unless disputed by Thalric who has read a few more guides than me...
    4: this is 3.5 NOT 4th.

Right, class selection.

Anything that can get 9nth level spells is good. read the spells Implosion, wail of the banshee, and Weird. Thats some of the power which 9nth level spells weild.

After that look for unique capabilitys Sneak attack? Its unique to the rouge and its look alikes (spell theif, ninja, scout) Rage? Unique. Wild shape? Unique. Fighter feats? Not unique, anyone can take those feats, it just takes them a few more levels. Avoid these "we look good but anyone can do what we do classes)
    thefangster
    thefangster

Nidog's optimization class! Empty Re: Nidog's optimization class!

Post  thefangster Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:59 pm

I have an answer to your question: by coming up with more optimizations

Also, who is Timmy? Is he realted to TIMMEH!?

Cue the BZAAAAAAAP!
    Thalric
    Thalric
    Admin

Post  Thalric Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:15 pm

nidog wrote:EVERYONE TAKE YOUR SEAT! THAT INCLUDES YOU TIMMY! TAKE YOUR SEAT!!!
    Now the referencess are out of the wayThis thread Is to help you make your character some tricks in order to make you character better.
    DISCLAIMERS!!!!
    1:of course I wont teach you all the tricks, otherwise how Ima gonna kick you ass?
    2: Luck is a big part of D&D and no character is Totally unkillable If a character you made by following this guide dies, on your bad die be it.
    3: I am right, unless disputed by Thalric who has read a few more guides than me...
    4: this is 3.5 NOT 4th.

Right, class selection.

Anything that can get 9nth level spells is good. read the spells Implosion, wail of the banshee, and Weird. Thats some of the power which 9nth level spells weild.

After that look for unique capabilitys Sneak attack? Its unique to the rouge and its look alikes (spell theif, ninja, scout) Rage? Unique. Wild shape? Unique. Fighter feats? Not unique, anyone can take those feats, it just takes them a few more levels. Avoid these "we look good but anyone can do what we do classes)

1) You are incapable of kicking most people's ass

2) You picked some godaweful spells for display:
    Implosion: kills a maximum of 4 creatures.
    Wail of the Banshee: Nondiscriminatory, completely negated by silence spell.
    Weird: 2 Saving throws for one save or die burst. Easily stopped and can also be turned on you.

All of the above are poor choices for your precious 9th level spell slots.

Now let's look at these unique capabilities.
    Sneak attack's "look alikes" are all infact completely different. Despite all being precision damage they work on completely different mechanisms.
    Sneak Attack works by suprising an opponent or by flanking them.
    Skirmish works by you moving a certain distance in one round.
    Sudden Strike at first seems the same as sneak attack except one key difference it only works when they are flat footed, not flanked.

Quick Note, Sneak attack can be gained from a variety of other classes and prestige classes such as blackguard and Luck, Sudden strike is not unique to ninja's as the no ninja's required Avenging Executioner gets it.

Wild Shape is infact not unique to druids, take a little look at the wildshape ranger.

And Finally onto fighter bonus feats, infact the weapon specilisation line, despite being worthless is in fact unique to fighters so their bonus feats can grab them unique class "features"

Tune in again to Thal corrects Niddog only on Wasps>Bastadised Norse mythology TV
    Lucernus
    Lucernus

Post  Lucernus Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:25 am

Naw, it's not TIMMEH!

Although, why you would bully a small child with weak legs and a crappy immune system into sitting down while you tell him how to play something he's never even heard of I do not know.
    nidog
    nidog

Post  nidog Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:18 pm

OH dear I see Ima gona have alot of trouble with thal....

How to define a powerfull class: One word-Flexability

rouges can do 2 jobs at the same time- stabbing and skilling
    sorcerors can do more because of spells
    wizards can do EVEN MORE because of more spells and scrolls.
    as you see the better you can shape your class to your needs on each day, the better you can work as a character

How to build your character

1:Have your aim in mind.
    2:Find the feats/spells
    3:get them within as few a levels as posible
    Example- IMA CHARGEN MY SWORD!!!

Ok your beat stick of the party wants to deal as much damage as possible in one round. He is currently on his character sheet written Paladin, dwarf. Get your crowbar and beat the crap out of him!!(Paladins are actually an alraight class though, but not untill special mounts happen do they get the uberchargin skillz)

Rewrite his character sheet,
    Barbarian (RAGE!!!that allimprotant strength)
    Emphasis in a point buy on strength
    Give hima greatsword (or a 2handed weapon of his choice)
    Human (Extra Feat, BOOHYA!!)
    Feats: Power attack (gives you extra damage accuracy can be improved by other means, such as MOAR STRENGTH!!)Weapon focus(the weapon you gave him)(for the accuracy) Take a flaw (inatentive is good whjo needs spot/listen??) take Intimidating rage (Oh, your shaken are you??? Now watch as the -2 to AC when chargin is nullified by your -2 to attack rolls!!!) or/and (if you take another flaw) monkey grip, for even MOAR DAMAGE!!!
    Put ranks in intimidate and jump, when you can get feats such as Shock trooper (take power attk penalty on armour and bull rush benefits) ,leap attack (double your power attack damge? BWAHAHAH!!!) and others.

See, at level one that barbarian (assuming 18 str because HE WILL HAVE 18 STR and a greatsword of medium size) thats a maximum of 23 damage (not counting crits) and +9 to his atack roll. Thats a pretty good character (its not the best but its one of the simplest)

thefangster
    thefangster

Post  thefangster Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:33 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Your points are meaningless for many reasons most of which I know nothing about and I don't know any.

Also, when do we get to see this 'Timmy' that you refer to?

Who wants a defiblirator for Christmas?
    Lucernus
    Lucernus

Post  Lucernus Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:40 pm

I do!

And the second Timmy (Not TIMMEH!) is from A Christmas Carol.
    Thalric
    Thalric
    Admin

Post  Thalric Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:42 pm

nidog wrote:OH dear I see Ima gona have alot of trouble with thal....

How to define a powerfull class: One word-Flexability

rouges can do 2 jobs at the same time- stabbing and skilling
    sorcerors can do more because of spells
    wizards can do EVEN MORE because of more spells and scrolls.
    as you see the better you can shape your class to your needs on each day, the better you can work as a character

How to build your character

1:Have your aim in mind.
    2:Find the feats/spells
    3:get them within as few a levels as posible
    Example- IMA CHARGEN MY SWORD!!!

Ok your beat stick of the party wants to deal as much damage as possible in one round. He is currently on his character sheet written Paladin, dwarf. Get your crowbar and beat the crap out of him!!(Paladins are actually an alraight class though, but not untill special mounts happen do they get the uberchargin skillz)

Rewrite his character sheet,
    Barbarian (RAGE!!!that allimprotant strength)
    Emphasis in a point buy on strength
    Give hima greatsword (or a 2handed weapon of his choice)
    Human (Extra Feat, BOOHYA!!)
    Feats: Power attack (gives you extra damage accuracy can be improved by other means, such as MOAR STRENGTH!!)Weapon focus(the weapon you gave him)(for the accuracy) Take a flaw (inatentive is good whjo needs spot/listen??) take Intimidating rage (Oh, your shaken are you??? Now watch as the -2 to AC when chargin is nullified by your -2 to attack rolls!!!) or/and (if you take another flaw) monkey grip, for even MOAR DAMAGE!!!
    Put ranks in intimidate and jump, when you can get feats such as Shock trooper (take power attk penalty on armour and bull rush benefits) ,leap attack (double your power attack damge? BWAHAHAH!!!) and others.

See, at level one that barbarian (assuming 18 str because HE WILL HAVE 18 STR and a greatsword of medium size) thats a maximum of 23 damage (not counting crits) and +7 to his atack roll. Thats a pretty good character (its not the best but its one of the simplest)

Ok correction time now where to start with this...

1) Rogues can do far more than two jobs, by stabing I believe you mean getting into position to sneak attack to hit an enemy's weakpoint for massive damage. Note this doesn't have to be in melee combat as a good rogue will have some ungodly modifiers to hide and movesilently to enable frequent ranged sneak attacks.
    "Skilling" as you put it is more than one job let's take a look at the standard skills we'll see on our "generic" rogue's sheet:
    Bluff
    Disable Device
    Hide
    Move Silently
    Open Lock
    Search
    Use Magic Device

Depending on intelligence and race they can have far more. These skills allow the rogue to deal with a very wide variety of situations including emulating the wizard with use magic device.

Magic Does give more benefits to situations but remember that unlike those tastey tastey skill points have a number of uses you can use them in the day.

Quick note all arcane casters and anyone with ranks in UMD can use a scroll so your point about Wizards using scrolls is moot.

You point about about your "ubercharging" build contradicts your previous point about flexibility, with spells and a decent variety of class features at low levels a Paladin would be more flexible than that barbarian build.
    A further point on that build, the reason you take levels in Barbarian for an ubercharger isn't for rage, though rage helps a little bit, you take it to exchange fast movement with the spirit lion totem ACF which allows you to full attack on the turn you charge.
    The other way of getting pounce is to take the far superior psychic warrior class and take psionic lions charge as one of your powers, psychic warrior also gives you a large bag of tricks to play with and as we all know, flexibility is key.

Monkey grip is a waste of a feat the slight bonus to damage it does is not worth the extra -2 you take on attack rolls. Strongarm bracers helpfully give you all the benefits of the feat or take goliath as a race for powerful build.

In fact a Dwarf Paladin who takes a few flaws to get the feats he needs to be an ubercharger will infact be a better ubercharger than your proposed build there, power attack-->shock trooper tree+spirited charge and a lance and smite evil on evil foes will do more than a standard barbarian swinging an unwieldy sword. Being a Dwarf and a Paladin he will also have better saving throws than the barbarian and more utility out of combat. So no crowbar is required.

And thats it for this week of Thalric and Co. Tune in next time for concise arguements pitted against critically inncorrect grammar.
    Lucernus
    Lucernus

Post  Lucernus Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 pm

If you have a ranger in the party too with the vexing flanker special ability (or whatever it is, replaces animal companion) then his ranged attacks mean that the enemy he hits counts as flanked for other attackers, so this could probably help the rogue a fair bit.
    thefangster
    thefangster

Post  thefangster Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Ooooh, like the Elocator Pisonic Prestige Class can Flank from anywhere, without being there!
    thefangster
    thefangster

Post  thefangster Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:58 am

I think we broke Nid's 'logic' so hard he can't post here any more
    nidog
    nidog

Post  nidog Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:23 pm

I could but my reputation would be kinda ruined if I mentioned the fact that both my charaters died within a space of 2 rounds, through erolacs amazing rolls. good rolling can screw any charater over.
    thefangster
    thefangster

Post  thefangster Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:48 pm

You sir, are ruined, you jusy mentioned it, I wonder how long 'Astrid' will last? You'll have to start giving them designations soon, you'll run out of names! What's this? N-GC-35 is fighting? How many rounds do you think this one will last?

For those who are wondering, N-GC-35= Niddog-Gladiator Character-35
    nidog
    nidog

Post  nidog Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:25 am

man, i hate lack of activity...
    thefangster
    thefangster

Post  thefangster Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:54 am

This is your 'Class' everybody's just waiting for you to post so they can point out massive gaping holes

Or did you mean on the forum in general? Everyone's away elsewhere, no internet. Use your head once in a while, it works wonders
    Lucernus
    Lucernus

Post  Lucernus Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:02 am

I used my head once in the most useful way I could think of.

It hurt.
    thefangster
    thefangster

Post  thefangster Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 am

Lucernus wrote:I used my head once in the most useful way I could think of.

It hurt.

WIN.

Where's a 'Like' button when you need one?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:49 am